At the Musculoskeletal Centre, we deliver expert care for paediatric, adult and older patients, whose diverse physical challenges prevent them from performing everyday tasks, like walking, playing a sport, shopping or working. We focus on what matters to each person. Whether a patient’s aspire to prepare a meal, live independently or run a marathon, we help them towards the goals they want to achieve. Working in interdisciplinary teams, we provide seamless integrated care to treat symptoms, restore function, ability and confidence, and empower recovery.
Our work spans all stages of the patient journey, from initial referral to outpatient care following discharge. We determine the best clinical pathway for patients and provide comprehensive inpatient therapy services. In addition, we provide outpatient treatments for patients following their discharge from the hospital, as well as those referred from Specialist Consultant Clinics.
The Musculoskeletal (MSK) Triage Clinic is run by Clinical Specialist Physiotherapists with significant expertise in the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal conditions. Working with Consultants in Orthopaedics, Rheumatology, Sports and Exercise Medicine, and Rehabilitation Medicine, we evaluate hospital referrals to determine the most efficient and effective clinical pathway.
The Triage Process
If you are referred to the Hospital by your GP or another healthcare professional, your named consultant may ask you to attend this service first. This is to ensure that your symptoms are managed most appropriately for you. We will direct you to the interventions that best suit you.
If you are likely to require surgery you will be referred to the Specialist Consultant Clinic. Alternatively, if you are not considered to be a surgical candidate, you will be directed to the Musculoskeletal Centre for assessment by a member of the team.
Joint & Soft Tissue Injection Clinic
MSK Clinical Specialists work closely with Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeons, operating a Joint & Soft Tissue Injection Clinic which treats a broad spectrum of conditions.
Our team of highly-skilled Chartered Physiotherapists have vast knowledge and experience in the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal (MSK) conditions. If you have been referred to the Hospital, you may benefit from our Inpatient and Outpatient services.
Helping You to Health
We work with paediatric, adult and older patients on a one-to-one basis and in group settings. Whether you are recovering from surgery, or require non-surgical intervention, our treatment and exercise programmes will help you to regain function and mobility and improve strength, confidence and endurance. Our core objective is to ensure that you receive the best treatment and advice for a full and fast recovery.
Physiotherapy and the Patient Journey
Working independently, or as members of an interdisciplinary team, we care for patients across all stages of the patient’s journey:
Referral to Physiotherapy
- Supporting Specialist Consultant Outpatient Clinics, MSK Triage Clinics and Day Ward
Initial Consultation (Outpatient Department)
- Working independently in the initial consultation and assessment of patients in the Outpatient Clinic
- Providing services for non-surgical patients requiring physiotherapy interventions through the Outpatient Clinic
- Connecting patients who do not require surgery and inpatient care with local services for the treatment and management of symptoms
- Working as part of an interdisciplinary team in the Preoperative Assessment Clinic, assessing, educating and preparing patients for surgery
Postoperative Care & Rehabilitation (Inpatient Service)
- Mobilising patients within hours of surgery, delivering physiotherapy at the bedside to reduce postoperative complications and begin the process of recovery
- Optimising mobility, function and independence through treatment and exercise prescription
- Running educational courses for patients and their families
- Working closely with paediatric patients and their families to ensure they understand their treatment and postoperative care following scoliosis, limb reconstruction procedures (lengthening and correction of deformity) and other complex surgeries.
Discharge Planning (Inpatient Service)
- Being part of the discharge planning process
- Liaising with the patient, their family and community care providers as required
Services for Postoperative Patients (Outpatient Department)
- Providing services for postoperative patients following discharge from the Hospital through the Outpatient Clinic such as Knee Rehabilitation Classes.
- Hip Replacement Guide
- Knee Replacement Guide
- Shoulder Replacement Guide
- Elbow Replacement Guide
- Back Care Advice
Occupational Therapy is a clinical discipline that provides practical support to empower patients thus facilitating recovery and promoting independence. We provide services to patients throughout their patient journey from preassessment to discharge following their procedure.
Our core objective is to provide practical support to patients so that they can adapt to or overcome physical challenges and realise their full potential for themselves.
The Hand Therapy Service is led by a Senior Occupational Therapist. We know how difficult life can be for people with impaired hand function. We aim to improve range of motion and restore hand function, providing treatments to alleviate pain, swelling and other symptoms so that you can perform practical tasks and participate in daily life activities.
If you have had hand surgery, the Hand Therapist will meet you following your Consultant review and start you on your rehabilitation. This may include therapeutic splinting and exercise therapy. In addition, the Hand Therapist will provide you with excellent advice for your optimal recovery.
Referrals to the Hand Therapy Service
Specialist Consultant Clinics
Specialist Interdisciplinary Clinics
Congenital Defect Clinic
East Coast Hand Clinic
The Podiatry Clinic offers a complete podiatry service providing treatment for pain, bunions, infection, corns and callus and other foot conditions. This Service operates every Monday 8.30am – 4.00pm.