1908 ST MARY’S CONVALESCENCE HOME OPENS
Cappagh House was the former residence of Sir Richard Martin, 1st Baronet of Cappagh and his wife, Lady Mary Martin. Sir Richard, a High Sheriff of Dublin, died in 1901 at the age of 70, and as he did not have children during his lifetime, his title became extinct. On her passing in 1907, Lady Martin bequeathed the house and lands at Cappagh to the Sisters of Charity.
“Cappagh” derives from “Ceapach” or tillage plot, and, this aptly named estate enjoyed a magnificent country setting at that time. Inspired by the estate’s rustic charm and proximity to Dublin, the Sisters of Charity decided to transform the residence into a convalescent home for sick children.
In July 1908, St Mary’s Convalescent Home opened it’s doors to receive patients from Temple Street Children’s Hospital. Many suffered from poverty-related illnesses (Ricketts, scurvy, poliomyelitis and tuberculosis), and congenital and acquired orthopaedic conditions, and required significant convalescence and care.
During the 1920’s St Mary’s Convalescent Home began a long tradition of medical education, establishing a training school for Nursery Nurses.